Behind the Fence

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Certified Master Gardener


 
It is official! I am now a certified Master Gardener.  

 Last fall I took the University of Kentucky Master Gardener Class. I finished my 30 volunteer hours earlier in the month and was awarded my certification today. I am also a member of PAMGA (Purchase Area Master Garden Association.)

 A lot of my volunteer hours were with the Superior Care Nursing Home as organizer and leader of the Superior Blooms Garden Club.

 The residents, activity director Erin Finke, her assistant  Brenda Valentine not only provided an opportunity but also were and still are instrumental in the success of our patio garden.

 

 
When we started in the fall of 2011, they had a nice but boring patio.

 

 

 

 
 
 
We brought the patio to life with fall lettuce and ornamental kale.

 


 
 
 
 
Sowing seed during the winter.

 The garden burst into bloom in the spring with fall planted daffodils and pansies.

 

Today when the residents and families venture outside this is what they see.
 
 
 

 
As I continue to learn with the PAGMA, I will share my knowledge with you.  

1 comment:

  1. Chris, the patio is lovely! What a wonderful way to spend your volunteer hours. Congratulations...I would love to do this someday too!

    EJ

    ReplyDelete