Behind the Fence

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Ahhh........Spring

Warm breezes, daffodils, pansies and surprises. Everyday I take a walk around the yard and potager to see what new little sprouts have arrived. My surprise today was violas or Johnny-Jump-Ups. Last spring I bought the seeds on a whim and tossed them around some pavers. They sprouted but didn’t do much, just sort of sat there. I didn’t give it too much thought as it was only a package of seeds. To my surprise and delight, there are now sweet little violas blooming all around the pavers.

The potager is coming to life. Early crops of peas, potatoes, broccoli, Swiss chard, beets, spinach and bunching onions are sowed and starting to sprout. The strawberries are putting out new growth and are enjoying the side dressing of compost and drink of fish emulsion they received this week.

In the greenhouse tomato, pepper, eggplant, rosemary and basil are being nurtured, just waiting for the days of frost risk to pass so they can be planted in the garden. The thyme, rose and crepe myrtle cuttings taken last fall are ready to move to their permanent spot. Alma Fig has leaved out and is sporting the breba (or first) crop. She will fruit again with her main crop in late summer. Cuttings from last summer’s geraniums have thrived and are blooming.

A little time now to relax, let the spring rains soak in and watch the plants grow. Did I say “relax?” I just heard the neighbor’s lawn mower. I forgot the rains make the grass grow! Glad I only have a small front yard!

No comments:

Post a Comment